CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Assignment # 7- Canadian Personalities

Canadian Personalities

In this entry I will be talking about different topics so there will be many different sections so make sure you read the titles. Also, here is a link to my teacher's blog if you want to read the whole assignment.


We Inspired
My Favourite Section.

My favourite section in
"Meet the Personalities"was the We Inspired section. This section was very interesting to me because most of the people in this category had very tough beginnings to their lives or careers. For example Herman Smith "Jackrabbit" Johannsen was a cross-country skier who was bankrupt during the Depression. During this time he turned his favourite hobby, skiing, into a business.

The Person I found Most Interesting.

The person that I found most interesting in this section was Mordecai Richler. Richler was a writer in the 1900s. He was a member of a Jewish family who lived in Montreal. Richler often had troubles with what he did because he always wanted to know more about what he was writing about. He wrote in many different styles including novels, essays and children's books. During his writing a career Richler made enemies because of his very authentic and very harsh way of writing about what life was like for immigrants in Canada. Over the course of his career Richler published many books here are three of the ones that I found in the Meet The Personalities section.

1.The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz-published in 1959 (first picture)

2.Oh Canada! Oh Quebec!: Requiem for a Divided Country- published in 1992 (second picture)

3.Barney’s Version- published in 1997 (third picture)
























Three More Influential Canadians


Three Canadians that I think should be added to the Canadian Personalities Hall is Ian Millar. I think that Ian Millar should be put in the We Inspired list because he is an amazing Olympic show jumper. He was the first person to defend the World Cup Final title. He did this riding his amazing horse Big Ben. Ian Millar also has competed in the Olympics more than any other athlete in every other sport. If you want to learn more about Ian Millar click HERE.



Another person that I think should be put on this list of influential Canadians is Roberta Bondar. I think that Roberta Bondar should be on this list because she was the first female astronaut in space. I think that she should be in the We Inspire section. I you would like more information about this amazing Canadian click HERE


The last person that I think should be on this list is Joannie Rochette. Joannie Rochette has not made any huge contributions to Canada as we know it but she is an amazing figure skater. Joannie is a four-time Canadian Champion figure skater. Recently (February 8, 2009) Joannie won 2nd place in the 2009 ISU Four Continents Championships. I think that Joannie should be in the We Inspire section on this list because I think that she probably inspires young figure skaters around the world. If you want more information click HERE.




My History- Maker Match


After taking the Mystery History-Maker Match-Up quiz I found out that my history- maker match is one of my favourite authors. My history- maker match is Lucy Maud Montgomery. I was able to guess who my match was before I was shown her picture. I knew for sure who my match was when one of the clues said that she was the author of a book called Anne of Green Gables. Another big clue was that she was born in Prince Edward Island.


What We Have in Common


Lucy Maud Montgomery and I have quite a few things in common. One thing that we have in common is that we are both only children. Another thing that we have in common is that we both enjoy reading and writing. Also, we both have nicknames. Lucy was always called Maud when she was young. They called her Maud because it is her middle name.


What We Don't Have in Common


Although we have many things alike about us, there are still many things that we don't have in common. One thing that we don't have in common is our birth dates. Lucy was born in November and I was born in January. Another thing that we do not have in common is that Lucy has had many wards named after her. I obviously have not had any awards named after me. Lucy Maud Montgomery has also published a series of brilliant books. I hope to do this someday but it has not happened yet. Other than these few things, Lucy and I are very much alike.




Me In 2109!!!!!

If someone discovers my profile in a history book in 100 years this is what I think it will look like.


Jessica Muus was born on January 31, 1996. She had a passion for horses from a very young age. Jessica started riding lessons when she was 11 years old in October 2007. She attended lessons once every week. After about two months later she decided to spend her whole weekend at the stable where she took lessons. This lasted about three months. Then she started to go to show jumping lessons three then four times a week. When she was 25 she won silver in the Olympics on her gorgeous Hanoverian gelding Once in a Blue Moon. At the age of 32 she competed in the Olympics again. This time winning gold on her newest horse, Horse Of a Different Colour. Horse Of a Different Colour or Max ,as he was known by his owner, was definitely a horse of a different colour when he won gold. He was the first Appaloosa to compete in the Olympics. During her jumping career Jessica won 4 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 1 bronze medal. After she retired from jumping she wrote a series of seven best selling books giving tips and advice on seven different horse back riding sports including jumping, barrel racing, dressage and reining. Because of Jessica the Olympic jumping community now openly accepts all breeds of horses including Mustangs, Appaloosas, Paints, Standardbreds and even Fell ponies. Jessica also made the jumping community realize that they had to alter the height of the jumps to accommodate the smaller jumping ponies and horses. For example the Fell, Dales and Haflinger ponies. Although Jessica did not really affect the way the entire world is today she did affect she did have a major affect on the showjumping community. Jessica is still an insparation to young jumpers everywhere who now know that they can fufill their dreams of jumping their beloved Appaloosas or Fell ponies in the Olympics.

2 comments:

Shauna Pollock said...

Wow, Jessi!

Another absolutely wonderful post. I hope you don't mind if I link your classmates here as an example.

Firas D. said...

This is great. keep up the good work and if you want you can check out my assignment 7