CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 9, 2009

Assignment # 9- Journal of a Loyalist

My name is Sophia Johnson. I am 13 years old. I am a Loyalist who just arrived in Nova Scotia. When my family and I arrived here we were given some land. My father fought for the Crown. He was a captain so he was given seven hundred acres, my mother was given fifty acres, my three brothers were each given fifty acres and my two sisters and I were also given fifty acres. In total we were given one thousand and fifty acres.


My family is eight of the approximately forty- six thousand Loyalists who came to British North America. We were also eight of the approximately thirty- four thousand Loyalists who went to Nova Scotia when we arrived in British North America. The people who were already living in Nova Scotia when we arrived were not at all pleased to see us. It is said that there is going to be a new colony made where my family has settled. This colony is to be called New Brunswick. There will be approximately fourteen thousand Loyalists in this colony. Here is a map of where we live. It is going to be named New Brunswick.




As I said, the people who were living in Nova Scotia before my family and the other thirty- four thousand Loyalists arrived were not at all pleased to see us. They greeted us with no warmth and barely ever spoke to us. This was very upsetting to me. I was very excited to be coming here and these people seem to not even want my family and I to have ever stepped on the land of Nova Scotia. Like I said I was very excited when my family and I arrived here. Not only was I excited but I was also nervous. I was nervous because I had left my home to come to British North America. I never realized exactly how far I would be away from my home until I had made the journey here. Even though I had some doubts about coming here at first I can now say that I am glad I came.

I really hope that things work out here. I hope that the people that lived here before us begin to accept us soon.

Sophia

Here are links to some of the websites that I got information from. Wikipedia, The Canadian Encyclopedia and Rideau-Info

2 comments:

Sabrina H said...

Great Job, Jess!! You put SO much detail, and you did a good job stepping into the character's shoes!

ally.96 said...

Heyy Jess!!:)
I think that your assignment # 9 was so good! you did really well!!!
Keep up the great work:P:P